Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Kilian Garland Interview



First contest you remember? Well I did a few events when I was real young they were the Chuys surf fest here in town. My first real memory was a Volcom contest in Cambria around 1997 the waves were big and I got washed out of the contest area. I remember the contest director let me pick through a box of Volcom goodies and I grabbed Alive We Ride Volcom’s first movie. How old were you? 8 years old

Favorite childhood memory? I got to stay in the Volcom house in Hawaii when I was 12. My two favorite surfer’s at time were there, Bruce and Andy Irons, and I got to meet them and play Tony Hawk pro skater with Bruce. Yeeew….

Favorite surf film? Modern Collective but it makes me go mad…

What do you do before a heat in order to pump yourself up? Just warm up my body (minor stretch and workout) and stay active no relaxing or sleeping…

If you could hang out with ONE celebrity for the day, who would you choose? Will Farrell
Words to live by? “As the spokes of a wheel are attached to the hub, so all things are attached to life” -Sanskrit Proverb

Scariest surfing situation you’ve been in? Bouncing off the reef at Backdoor after the Pipe Masters one day, and night surfing Backdoor.

Pacific or Atlantic? Pacific

If your life was spontaneously changed into some movie, which actor would you like “you” to be? Owen Wilson

Blondes or brunettes? Both

Dawn Patrol. Who do you call? Sometimes Andrew Bennett, he wakes up…on time.

What surfer(s) did you look up to as a child that you feel has influenced you the most? I would have to say after watching so many contests that Kelly Slater has inspired me the most.
Favorite top 5 surf spots? Rincon beach break, Rincon backside, Rincon indicator, Rincon river mouth and Rincon cove

You’ve arrived back home from a surf trip. Where’s your first stop? Check the Pit.

Favorite non-surfing activities? Art, going to concerts, Skateboarding, Photography, and blogging. 

Favorite person to surf with? I have always enjoyed surfing with my Dad. Its fun to be pushed by all the up and comers right now especially the Coffin Bros. I surf a lot with Adam Lambert, Andrew Bennett, and Robert Curtis; they are rippers. My favorite might have to be Dane Reynolds cause he will push anyone around to surf way better.

If you won a million dollars in the lottery, what would you do with it? I would donate some of it, for sure. I would also start to run a tour for California surfers because we have hardly any contest for pros. 

What are you scared of? Snakes they freak me out.

What do you tell yourself on days when you really don’t want to get out of bed and surf? How do you keep your passion going? I love to surf so if the waves are good around here, I am awake for sure. If its kinda sh*tty, I will sleep-in cause my body needs that sometimes.  For surfing I think having people around you that are equally as passionate and devoted will help you stay passionate. Its kinda important to have people who you can trust to be on time.

What’s the most exciting or best part of what you do? I would have to say traveling to new places I have never been.

What do you think accounts for surfing’s enduring popularity? The ocean is always changing, so I would think that makes it more popular and interesting.

Biggest pet peeve? Upset travelers…

What advice do you have for young competitive surfers? Aim high in contests and figure it out in steps. I see a lot of kids just trying moves that are hard enough for the top pros.

Favorite local surf spot? The Bounce

Worst grom treatment on a surf trip from back in the day? I once had to help clean up a bed of a truck where Spam the pig lived.

Favorite rapper? Lexo; Favorite band? Iration; Music before heats? Yes Asg, Iration, Bob Marley, Muse

Last encounter with a shark? A couple months back I was talking to my video guy (after I surfed), then a couple came up and told us a great white jumped out of the water about 20ft from me.

iPhone or Droid? iPhone

Where are the strangest places you’ve heard of people catching a wave? Germany and Antarctica

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional…With whom would it be? Yeah probably Laird Hamilton cause he charges and was in North Shore the movie.

So, there were a handful of Kilian’s answers that made me laugh. Hopefully we can talk him into making a video for our Surf Video Contest!

Check out Kilian’s blog, KilGarz Land.

Photo Courtesy: Jon Shafer, SantaBarbaraSurfer.Com and Kilian Garland
 
You can also view this blog on Sundance Beach's Blog.

1 comment: